Saturday, August 8, 2009

Lampyridae

As I was walking around my sister's backyard this evening in an attempt to get Rudy to poopoo, I was utterly amazed at the fireflies. They seemed to be rising from the ground and up into the trees like Christmas tree lights. There were so many of them. It was magical. Really. OK, family members are rolling their eyes right now, but REALLY, it was magical.

Until I googled them. This is Wikipedia: Lampyridae is a family of insects in the beetle order Coleoptera. They are winged beetles, and commonly called fireflies or lightning bugs for their conspicuous crepuscular use of bioluminescence to attract mates or prey.

Fireflies were doing it all over my sister's backyard. And it was magical!!

(PS...Rudy thought so, too. He chased a couple, got one, but I saved it. Just didn't know what I was saving it to do.)

No comments:

Post a Comment